2016 is a proving to be a year of digital disruption and political upheaval. Cars are driving themselves, bots are guiding our investment decisions and fake news is dominating our social media feeds.
Who better than to guide us through this morass of change than Tom Grundy, Editor-in-Chief of Hong Kong Free Press.
HKFP is a mastermind of distributing news in the digital era, regularly beating the venerable South China Morning Post SCMP with its smart social media and search engine marketing strategies.
A switched-on bunch of journos, HKFP has turned to FringeBacker to crowd-fund HK$550,000 and ensure independent coverage of the HKSAR Chief Executive Elections in 2017. Show your support and back a local digital media entrepreneur.
Bring along friends to our last social mixer of 2016, 6:30pm - 9pm on Wednesday 7th December at Orange Peel, 2/F, Ho Lee Comm Bldg, 38-44 D'Aguilar Street, Lan Kwai Fong, Central, Hong Kong.
We have a wide range of topics on which I will be grilling Tom:
- The algorithm: Bubbles and walled gardens
- Funding / Crowdfunding / non-profit newsroom on a shoestring.
- The spectre of "fake news".
- Social media engagement and analytics.
- Press freedom issues in Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong's English and Chinese media landscape.
- One Country, Two Systems - future of civil liberties in Hong Kong.
The entrance fee of HK$100 includes one complementary drink and the chance to influence the future of freedom in Hong Kong!
See who else is coming and sign up on Facebook or MeetUp.
Bring a festive friend or two!